Sustainability in Packaging Printing
Sustainability and environmental concerns have been premier topics in discussions and acts of our living during the last years. The packaging supply chain has possibility to take actions to slow down the climate change and environmental loading of the nature. The GreenerPrinting™-initiative is our common commitment creating an even more responsible supply chain. For the GreenerPrinting™ partners the sustainability is more than just a logo or certification. This means reducing VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and CO2s (known also as greenhouse gases), while also putting effort on minimising the use of resources (any kind) and even decreasing the waste. To put it simple, all this is just responsibility.
We are committed to develop our products and production into more sustainable solutions and finding a way to develop the packaging cluster becoming even more environmental friendly.
Our commitment in the name of GreenerPrinting™; is always in the first place to offer a more environmental friendly solution, when possible.
This means that during the traditional artwork execution process for packaging printing, we are simultaneously evaluating the possibility to offer Greener Printing:
- Offering a more sustainable way for packaging printing
- lowering the environmental load through reducing the ink consumption, solvent emissions and minimising the waste at printing
- keeping eye on making the production practices more efficient and capable of minimising the use of resources and energy
- all in all to find new ways to decrease the carbon footprint of the packaging print production.
The strongest impact to a more sustainable way of packaging printing is the use of the new GreenerPrinting EGP technology (Expanded Gamut Printing). Furthermore, the quality level of the printing can also be increased in many cases with GreenerPrinting EGP in comparison to the traditional packaging printing.
What means the GreenerPrinting™ logo in packaging
A product having the GreenerPrinting™ logo is guaranteed to match the following criteria:
- The packaging printing color separation is analysed and the most effective way with EGP™ color separation is selected
- the printing is made with only process colors to avoid unnecessary wash-ups and waste of the ink
- all additional and separately manually mixed inks are eliminated from the printing of the product
- the amount of the press return ink is minimised
- the printing design change produces typically less waste material with EGP™ in comparison to the traditional spot color printing
- the GreenerPrinting EGP™ process is using printing plates in an effective way.
Notice: The GreenerPrinting™ product is a product from an EGP™ certified printer.
What is GreenerPrinting™ certified packaging printing plant
A printing plant having the GreenerPrinting™ certificate is guaranteed to match the following criteria:
- The packaging printing process is streamlined to use the most efficient printing practices
- more than 50% of the produced products are made with only process colors to avoid unnecessary wash-ups and waste of the ink related to separately manually mixed inks
- Reduction of the environmental load is achieved by the following results:
- the solvent based flexo printing production is reducing color wash-ups and waste as well as producing less VOCs and CO2s compared to traditional spot color printing
- the water based flexo printing production is reducing color wash-ups and waste compared to traditional spot color printing
- the offset printing production is reducing color wash-ups and waste compared to traditional spot color printing
Purpose of the GreenerPrinting™ label and GreenerPrinting™-initiative
The purpose of the GreenerPrinting™ labelling and certification is to have easier recognition of the responsible and eco-efficient process to the consumers and print buyers. At the early stage the Greener Printing preparation is done in cooperation with the printers and brand owners. In next steps our aim is to reach the Greener Printing knowledge to the designers and helping them to make their effort for the positive environmental impact.
Notices: GreenerPrinting and EGP are trade marks of Marvaco Ltd.
#Sustainability #GreenerPrinting #ResponsibleProduction #ExpandedGamut #EGP #HiQ_EGP